Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bananamon Crumb Muffins



Hello again! I am trying to play catch up with my recipes, so here is my latest food adventure. At work, we recently had an all-day training session that required all of us to be fully functional at 7:30am. What better way to be up and running than with a nice breakfast muffin? With these yummies, we were able to tackle the training on full force (well, maybe just tackle the training, it was still a Monday hehehe).
The following recipe itself is a blend of 2 recipes I found from one of my favorite food bloggers (Annie’s Eats) and a great recipe I found on Foodbuzz, plus some of my own tweaks. I really like a crumb top layer on certain muffins, so I added it to the recipe. Since I was trying to finish my whole wheat flour, I only had about 1 cup left and ended up using AP flour for the remaining 2 cups. Next time I might just make the muffins with all AP flour instead of mixing, or if you feel like being a little more health conscious, then make it with only whole wheat flour. Hope you enjoy these breakfast treats, as my staff certainly did!

Bananamon Crumb Muffins
Yields 24 muffins

3 cups whole wheat flour (or AP flour)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
 3 eggs
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the topping:
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoon butter   


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups.

Measure out the flour with a measuring cup and level with a knife. Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and the butter on medium speed with a mixer until well-incorporated, about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg. Add the bananas, yogurt and vanilla extract. Beat together.

On low speed, add the flour mixture in increments. Beat just until blended.

Divide mixture between the muffin cups, about 2/3 full. I use a small sized ice cream scoop for this, which works great!
In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 4 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.   
Bake about 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Adapted from “Life’s Too Short to Eat Fat Free Cheese” Life’s Too Short to Eat Fat Free Cheese” and Annie’s Eats

1 comment:

  1. I love banana muffins...especially when they are topped with a yummy crumb! I would love to have one of these for breakfast tomorrow. It would be just perfect with a cup of coffee. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete