Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Butter Cookies



Happy New Year greetings to everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season J Looking back at this last year, I sure have many MANY things to be thankful for. One of the things I am super thankful for are the people who surround me. I absolutely love my family and friends, coworkers, even my neighbors! I wanted to share my gratitude with everyone, and so I chose to try my hand at cookies (yup, not cupcakes) and share them with my loved ones. I saw this wonderful recipe for Danish Butter Cookies at Day Dreamer Desserts, and couldn’t wait to give it a try. I was a little nervous not knowing how they would turn out as I had never used a cookie press. Also, I had not checked the original recipe from All Recipes, and didn’t know that one recipe makes seven dozen cookies! Ha! Well, on the upside, I had enough cookies to share with LOTS of people, so I guess it was win win!
So these cookies turned out wonderfully! I had lots of fun trying out the different cookies shapes, some of which I had no idea what they did before I pressed the dough through it. This cookie is very buttery with just enough sweetness to it. In the end, it wasn’t hard to get rid of these cookies, as you can see from my last picture.
To share these babies with my loved ones, I placed 3-4 cookies in a cupcake liner (mine were Santa Claus themed) and placed these liners in a cookie tin. If I may say so myself, I think it turned out pretty cute.
I will be posting next another edible gift idea I made for my neighbors. Meanwhile, enjoy this recipe!


Danish Butter Cookies
Makes ~7 dozen

Ingredients:
3 cups unsalted butter (6 sticks)
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
7 egg yolks
6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl (fitted with the paddle attachment), cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the yolks one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. In a separate bowl, sift and whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet in a few batches. Using a cookie press, press cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet spacing them 2 inches apart. Bake for 7-8 minutes and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Oh, and this is what was left BEFORE Santa arrived!

Recipe originally from Day Dreamer Desserts, adapted from All Recipes

2 comments:

  1. Oh I just got a press and love it! Your presentation is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butter cookies are so simple...and yet they are some of my favorite holiday treats. They are trouble though...I have a hard time not devouring the entire batch. Your cookies look beautiful, and I'm sure they tasted great. Thank you for sharing with me. I hope you have a happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete