Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

"Mama's" Pound Cake


Towards the end of my second trimester of pregnancy, I started to really crave sweet baked goods all the time. It was soooooooo difficult to go to the grocery store and walk (in my case waddle...) by the baking section without buying anything. Many times I gave in and bought a small cake, which then I would inhale most of it on my own. 
Knowing how this craving could not be good on my wallet nor my hips, I decided to try my hand at baking at home.
I must say I have had a wonderful time so far; I enjoy looking for different recipes and trying them out. My goal was to become at least proficient at baking cupcakes before my daughter's first birthday, and I think we are well on schedule for this task.

Why did I go into memory lane for this blog? Well, this pound cake recipe that I found on the Food Network website  was the first baked good I made to satisfy my pregger's craving. It is sweet, moist, and super delicious! 

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
  • 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 3 cups AP flour, plus more for the pan
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
With a mixer, cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Stir dry ingredients together in a bowl and add to mixer alternately with milk, starting with the flour and ending with the flour. Mix in vanilla. Pour into a greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment