Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Cherry Crumb Pie - Happy Thanksgiving!


Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Yesterday (turkey day, aka get your whole house ready for guests-day), I got the chance to bake to my heart’s content! J Well, since we only have one oven at home, and I knew that the turkey would monopolize that one oven today, I had to do all my dessert baking the day before. Oh darn, twist my arm!
Now as I mentioned before in my pie crust entry, my husband is very particular about his pies. He knows which pies he likes and how he likes them. So this year he made his normal requests of pumpkin and chocolate pecan pies (recipe to follow soon!), but since I had made an apple crumb pie earlier in the fall, he started to crave a CHERRY crumb pie. Oh my! I have never ever made a cherry pie, so I was nervous… but hey, I took on the challenge!
So to figure out what recipe to follow for this cherry pie… the crumb topping was already decided since he wanted the same as the apple crumb pie, but the FILLING! And to top it off, we could not find the tart cherries frozen (let alone fresh) in any of our local grocery stores, so we had to go with canned cherries. Well, I found this recipe in All Recipes.com and seemed like something I could do, so I went for it. My husband got to do a little taste-testing of the filling and it got two thumbs up! He was definitely speechless while savoring the filling.
So hopefully you will get to enjoy this recipe too. And no matter what you are doing, where you are, I wish from the bottom of my heart that you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. I have many things to be thankful for this year: my wonderful husband and daughter, the new baby on the way, my parents and sisters, and all my family and friends all over the world… the list goes on and on. Thank you for being part of my life, and I hope you have a great day!
Cherry Crumb Pie

Ingredients:
·         1 whole pie crust (try this recipe)
For the filling:
·         2 cans (14.5oz each) water-packed red, tart, pitted cherries, drained and 1 cup of juice reserved
·         1 cup sugar
·         ¼ cup corn starch
·         Pinch of salt
·         ½ tsp almond extract
For the crumb topping:
·         ½ cup flour
·         1 cup brown sugar
·         ½ cup quick oats
·         ¼ tsp salt
·         ½ cup (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces (~1/2 Tbsp each piece)

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2.       For the filling: in a medium saucepan, cook 1 cup of cherry juice, sugar, corn starch, and a pinch of salt over medium-low heat; stir with a rubber spatula until a very thick paste forms. Remove from heat and let paste cool down some, then add drained cherries into saucepan and stir well. Add almond extract; stir to combine.
3.       Prepare pie crust as directed. Spread cherry filling into pie crust.
4.       For the crumb topping: mix together the flour, brown sugar, oats, and salt. Sprinkle flour mix over cherry filling and pie. Evenly place butter pieces over pie crust.
5.       Bake pie in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes. Enjoy!

Original recipe for the pie filling from All Recipes.com

Original recipe for the crumb topping from Pioneer Woman Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment