Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sweet Potato Spice Cookies


Hello everyone! The next cookie recipe for my cookie challenge is a sweet potato spice cookie. Sweet potato in cookies, say what??? That is actually what I thought at first... it did not seem very appealing to me. But, the idea stayed in the back of my head and kept creeping up the more I thought about it. So, I guess it crept up enough huh? :) This cookie just seemed to fit the Thanksgiving spirit of the week, so here it is!
Now, I modified the order of how the ingredients are added to the batch because I FORGOT to add the oats... sigh... I realized that after the cookies were already baking. The cookies still came out okay, but I can see how the oats would really have added to the texture. So next time I won't forget that important ingredient :)
Another thing, I did remove the butterscotch chips (1 cup) that the original recipe called for since I'm not a huge fan of butterscotch chips, but feel free to add it into the recipe. Another idea I had was to instead add 1 cup of white chocolate chips. Maybe next time!
Hope you are having a wonderful turkey day, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Sweet Potato Spice Cookies


Ingredients:
-3/4 cup butter, softened
-1 cup sugar
-1/4 cup packed brown sugar
-1 egg
-1 cup finely shredded uncooked sweet potato
-3 Tbsp orange juice concentrate
-2 cups AP flour
-1-1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
-1 cup coconut flakes
-1 cup chopped pecans


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together the flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, sweet potato, and orange juice concentrate. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the coconut flakes and chopped pecans.
3. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 13-15 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Recipe originally from Taste of Home - Sweet Potato Spice Cookies
For more of my cookie challenge cookie recipes, click here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment